Gunmen on Wednesday ambushed a joint police patrol team along the Abatete–Eziowelle Road in the Idemili North area of Anambra State, sparking panic among residents as a heavy exchange of gunfire erupted. The officers, drawn from the Department of Operations at the State Headquarters in Awka and the Special Anti-Cultism Squad, were on routine patrol when the armed group opened fire.
Eyewitnesses said the attackers arrived in a convoy consisting of a white Toyota Hummer bus, a black Lexus 350 SUV, and a white Toyota Highlander, all without identifiable registration numbers. According to residents, the gunmen wore military- and police-style uniforms, which appeared to have been used to disguise their intentions before launching the assault.
The sudden ambush led to a prolonged shootout, forcing residents to flee the area. During the confrontation, the patrol bus belonging to the Special Anti-Cultism Squad was struck by bullets and later set ablaze. Another patrol vehicle, a pickup van used by the Department of Operations, was also riddled with bullets and severely damaged. One police officer was reportedly injured in the attack.
Videos circulating on social media show one of the police vehicles engulfed in flames as people ran for safety. The Anambra State Police Command later confirmed the incident in a statement issued by its spokesperson, SP Tochukwu Ikenga. He said the attackers were intercepted but eventually repelled by officers on the ground. Ikenga added that no civilian casualties were recorded.
Following the incident, the Commissioner of Police ordered an immediate reinforcement of security across the state. All divisions, tactical units, and patrol teams were directed to remain on heightened alert. The command urged residents to remain calm and continue their lawful activities, while reporting any suspicious movements to security authorities.
The police further assured the public of their commitment to protecting lives and property and promised that efforts to track down the assailants were already underway. The attack adds to a series of violent incidents previously recorded in Anambra. In July 2025, two people were killed during a confrontation between security forces and armed hoodlums in Oko and near the Ekwulobia flyover. A vigilante vehicle was destroyed in that attack, though security operatives recovered rifles and several abandoned vehicles from the scene.
Wednesday’s ambush underscores ongoing security challenges in the state as authorities continue efforts to curb violent criminal activity and reassure communities of their safety.


